After working some overtime lately, I was looking for a quick weeknight meal that would be simple yet flavorful. I was very satisfied with this delicious pasta dish that is ready in 20 minutes flat! The sauce is creamy, spicy, and savory. The flavor combination of broccoli and red peppers really works well in this recipe and makes for a brightly colored, beautiful bowl of pasta! I would recommend serving this dish the day you cook it, or eating your leftovers the next day. The sauce is delicious, but does not hold up well to multiple days of refrigeration. This recipe would also taste great with grilled chicken or shrimp added!
Once the vegetables have sauteed, add the chicken broth and sour cream. The sauce will become somewhat thin.
Remove from heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese. This will allow the sauce to thicken to the right consistency. Add the sauce to the cooked pasta.
Serve and enjoy! Garnish with additional Parmesan if desired!
- 1 box rotini pasta
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 broccoli crown
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper - use less if you prefer a milder sauce
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt and extra virgin olive oil. Add in the rotini, and cook for about 10 minutes until al dente.
- Julienne the bell pepper, mince the garlic, and chop the broccoli. Add 1 Tablespoon of butter and olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cayenne pepper to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have sauteed, add the chicken broth and sour cream. The sauce will become thin.
- Remove from heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese. This will cause the sauce the thicken to the right consistency.
- Serve and enjoy! Garnish with additional Parmesan if desired!